FOSS Weekly #23.49: Sudo Tweaks, Ubuntu Starters, Zorin 17, Cinnamon 6 and More
Website UX changes first ✨
There is now a dedicated form page to inform me about any grammatical or technical error in an article. Alert and dedicated readers have been using the comment section or emailing me about issues they noticed in the article. A dedicated form entry will make it easier to take action on these suggestions.
The link to this page is at the very bottom of every page and it is called ‘Article Needs to be Updated?’.
I could not think of a better title and placement. Suggestions are welcome to improve the location, title or the entire update mechanism.
💬 Let’s see what you get in this edition of FOSS Weekly:
- A new Cinnamon desktop release.
- Sudo tips and tweaks
- A new collection of Ubuntu tutorials for the beginners
- Important details regarding the KDE Plasma 6 release.
- Some interesting details about the upcoming Zorin 17 release.
- And other Linux news, videos, Puzzles and, of course, memes!
📰 Linux news
- Open source web-based e-mail client, Roundcube has found a new home with Nextcloud.
- The Cinnamon 6.0 release has debuted with experimental Wayland support.
- Godot 4.2 is the latest major release for the popular open-source game engine.
- Mageia has taken a step towards enhancing the experience for gamers and creators.
- Zorin OS 17 is all set to redefine the user experience you expect from a Linux distribution.
- MauiKit version 3.0.2 is here, dubbed as the most comprehensive user interface toolkit.
KDE Plasma 6 is set to be released on February 28, 2024. Here’s what you can expect:
🌐 Follow us on Google News
By the way, if you use Google, follow It’s FOSS on Google News to get trusted It’s FOSS content before other websites in Google search.
🧠 What we’re thinking about
A curious case of imitation, and the original creator’s thoughts on it.
🧮 Linux Tips, Tutorials and More
Yes. The simple looking sudo command can be tweaked and configured. Though, it’s not for everyone, but something good to know about.
I revamped this page to collect tutorials into sections that would help new users to get started with Ubuntu more smoothly. If you are active in various Linux forums and someone asks ‘how do I start using Ubuntu’, you may direct them to this page.
Here are some of the most privacy-focused browsers around:
📹 What we are watching
More like what we are creating 😁
✨ Project highlights
Looking for a modern and minimal alternative to GnuCash?
🧩 New quizzes
It’s simple. You see an outline of a logo. It belongs to either a distribution or an application.
It’s FOSS Plus users can play this reorder puzzle on Linux commands.
💡 Quick handy tip
You can easily pin tabs on Firefox, just right-click on a tab, then click on “Pin Tab”.
🤣 Meme of the week
But the Wiki is the best thing already 😉
🗓️ Tech Trivia
American computer scientist Grace Hopper was born on December 9, 1906. She is attributed to the term ‘debugging’ for physically removing an actual bug (moth) from the relay of a computer in 1947.
🧑🤝🧑 FOSSverse corner
FOSSers discuss which email client is better than Thunderbird.
❤️ Loving FOSS Weekly?
Share it with your Linux-using friends and encourage them to subscribe (hint: it’s here).
Share the articles in Linux Subreddits and community forums.
Become a Pro member and support our work 🙏
Anything else? Please reply to this email 🙂